13 years later and I haven’t forgotten. I haven’t forgiven either.
- The Noisy Room – Cuba Trolls America’s Left for Spies
- The Independent Sentinel – Your child’s school might be pushing Zinn’s Marxist view of US history
- The Right Planet – The Immigration Nightmare
- Joshuapundit-Defeating The Islamic State
- GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD – Von Kluck’s Turn
- The Glittering Eye -Second Term Foreign Policy
- The Razor – It’s Jews All The Way Down
- VA Right! - Bob McDonnell Guilty on 11 Counts, Maureen Guilty on 9 Counts
- Nice Deb – Ward Churchill Still Crazy After All These Years (Video)
- Bookworm Room – Book Review — Bing West’s “One Million Steps : A Marine Platoon at War”
- The Colossus of Rhodey – As a life-long Rams fan, I say this is patently ridiculous
- Simply Jews – Who said about ISIS: ‘We Don’t Have a Strategy Yet’? Or – on importance of being Earnest.
- Rhymes With Right – A Miracle Occurs — I Agree With Keith Olbermann!
- Ask Marion – Megyn Kelly Takes On Ward Churchill: How Can You Compare 9/11 Victims to Nazis?
- The Political Commentator – Defeating Islamic extremists: Thinking outside of the box for a solution!
- The Pirate’s Cove – When It Comes To Obama’s New Climate Rules, Guess Who Wins The Most?
- Daniel Greenfield/FrontPage Mag –It’s Time to Kick ISIS Members Out of America submitted by The Noisy Room
- Doug Ross –National Labor Relations Board Ruling to Destroy Franchised Businesses… For the Children submitted by The Independent Sentinel
- Conservative Hideout 2.0 – A Primer on Successfully Combating the Alinsky Method submitted by The Right Planet
- Victor Davis Hanson – Obama’s Untruth, Inc. submitted by Joshuapundit
- Siobhan O’Grady/Foreign Policy – Middle East Comedians Respond to Islamic State Violence With Black Humor submitted by GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD
- The Other McCain – Is Rachel @Maddow’s Haircut Waging War Against Heteronormative Patriarchy? submitted by The Glittering Eye
- Blazing Cat Fur –Guardian: ‘ISIS jihadis aren’t medieval – they are shaped by modern western philosophy’ submitted by The Razor
- Canada Free Press – Estimates of the Social Cost of Carbon-Driven “Consensus” Global Warming submitted by VA Right!
- Quin Hillyer/NRO -Obama Outed: If Only submitted by Nice Deb
- Danny Lemieux/American Thinker-Our Defining Crisis submitted by Bookworm Room
- Kim Strassel/WSJ – Alaska’s ‘Native Son’—On Thin Ice submitted by The Watcher
- Michael Totten – Don’t Cooperate with Assad submitted by The Watcher
- Stuart Rothenberg – I am now expecting a substantial Republican Senate wave submitted by The Watcher
- Stephen Hayes/Weekly Standard – Al Qaeda Wasn’t ‘on the Run’ submitted by The Watcher
The name of this journal is in honor to Occam’s Razor, the tool of logic used to decide when faced with two theories having the same evidence the simpler theory is most likely true. I selected this name because of the explosion of conspiracy theories that followed the 9-11 attacks. Occam’s Razor is to a conspiracy theory what a can of RAID is to a cockroach. In the immediate aftermath of the attack there were a multitude of explanations and justifications, from Bin Laden striking the blow to protest America’s refusal to curb global warming to the controlled demolition of the towers by the US government itself. Like cockroaches these theories managed to survive and evolve into what we now call 9-11 Truthers, a movement that has become a cottage industry where the only people not responsible for the 9-11 attacks are the ones who actually claimed responsibility for committing them.
Every generation has its tin-foil hat crowd, as do both sides of the political spectrum. FDR knew about Pearl Harbor well before the Japanese launched the attack. JFK was killed by the CIA, mob, Cubans or a conspiracy involving all three. The moon landings were faked as was Elvis’s death. Reagan was killed by Hinkley and replaced with an imposter. The CIA was behind the AIDS and Crack epidemics of the 1980s. Vince Foster was “suicided” by the Clintons.
There’s an anecdote where a great scientist delivers a lecture on cosmology in which he remarks the earth orbits around the sun. At the end of the lecture an old woman stands up and shouts, “That’s poppycock. Everyone knows the earth sits on the back of a giant turtle.” The scientist then asks the woman, if that were true what is that turtle resting on? “It’s turtles all the way down,” she answers.
I’m reminded of this anecdote whenever I visit sites like Zero Hedge where it seems the vast majority of posters are advocates of one conspiracy or another, and often many. Whether its the downing of Malaysian Flight MH17, the rise of ISIS, the civil war in Ukraine, rocket attacks on Israel from Gaza or the Ebola outbreak, some insidious group is behind it – and it’s never the obvious the person or group claiming ownership. Instead that person or group is claimed to be a shill or patsy.
Take for example the Ukrainian civil war. Although Russia is the obvious aggressor because it has the most to lose by having an independent and prosperous Ukraine on its border, the Russian government is not to blame. Instead a belligerent undercover NATO forces are massacring Russian speakers in the East and goading Russia into the war. NATO also bombed Flight MH17 and fabricated the telemetry and satellite data showing the plane was downed by a missile fired from Russian controlled territory. The whole purpose of this exercise is for the West to ignite a war with Russia, one that will cause the price of fuel to skyrocket for the benefit of American energy companies.
Then there’s al-Qaeda and its off-shoot ISIS. It’s a common belief that these groups are under the control of the CIA and the Mossad. All the terrorist attacks committed by these groups, all the beheadings and massacres are manufactured by bureaucrats in Langley and Tel Aviv, operating “false flag” divisions devoted to creating mayhem that then provides justification for their governments to meddle in the Middle East on behalf of the TPTB, the Powers that Be.
Mind you there is not a scintilla of proof behind any of this, and when proof countering this narrative is raised the conspiracy theorists simply move the goal-posts onto another area where the proof is not as definitive. Or they claim the proof offered was itself manufactured, making it impossible to disprove their position. Conspiracy theorists believe such maneuvers make their positions stronger, but the impossibility of disproving a theory actually weakens it from a rational point of view. For example a single piece of evidence could disprove Evolution; simply find the fossil of a modern animal such as a human or horse in sediments dating from the Jurassic Period, and the theory would be gravely weakened. Yet there is no such evidence that can possibly refute the theory that the World Trade Centers were destroyed through explosives set in the structures by the CIA or Mossad as many Truthers believe. The fact that we have video and thousands of eyewitness accounts of the airliners slamming into the buildings does not weaken their convictions. The dearth of such acceptable contrarian evidence forces these ideas out of the realm of factuality and into faith.
And who are the TPTB? It depends on whom you ask. For many it’s the extremely wealthy oligarchs that run the world’s economies, men of unimaginable wealth whose faces are not known, but who control the fates of Man in the same way the gods controlled the fates of the Greeks and Romans. But then one could ask, well, who controls The Powers That Be? Inevitably we run into the Jews. The Jews are the world’s favorite Wizard of Oz, the man behind the curtain that controls everything Evil. If something bad happens there is inevitably a Jew behind it.
But why stop there? Who’s behind the Jews? And then the lady at the back of the room stands up and says “It’s Jews all the way down…”
Over the past 5000 years of their existence other tribes and their religions have come and gone but the Jews remain. They have survived countless persecutions, pogroms, and the greatest mass-murder in History and still they remain true to their faith and identity. Over that time Jews have risen to the heights of power in every civilization they have lived in, wielding power in service to Ottoman sultans, defining Communism in Russia, and serving the cause of freedom and democracy in the American senate. Their success in the Arts is unparalleled. Countless writers, actors, directors and musicians hail from the ethnic group. Their importance to finance, established during the middle ages due to the prohibition of usury by the Catholic Church, gave them the control of wealth that lays at the heart of most anti-Semitic conspiracy theories. This survival and even thriving at times is historically unusual, and when you put success together with survival over 5 millennia, you have a recipe for those of weaker minds to fall for conspiracies involving favoritism or treachery.
And I must emphasize that anti-Semitism is the purvey of weaker minds. It takes much effort to understand History and its complexities, and that is simply too much for many to employ. It is much easier to fall back on conspiratorial beliefs that are simplistic but with a strong history of their own. And that I think is the problem with facts: they take more effort to put together to create the Truth than to weave falsehoods into a great Lie. It is much easier to dream up a conspiracy theory that explains the loss of Malaysian Flight MH17 than it is to objectively examine the evidence. It is also a much more compelling story. But just because it’s compelling doesn’t mean it’s correct, and that apocryphal lady’s belief in turtles will not pluck the Earth from orbit around the Sun and set it upon an infinite column of reptiles just as the Jews are as guilty or innocent as any other ethnic group for the sins of this world.
- *First place with 3 2/3 votes!– Nice Deb – West Point Report: Obama Watched And Did Nothing As ISIS Threat Grew – Why?
- Second place with 2 2/3 votes – Joshuapundit-It’s Time To Give Abbas What He’s Asking For
- Third place with 2 votes – The Noisy Room – ISIS barbarians At Our Gates
- Fourth place with 1 2/3 votes –The Right Planet – The Growing ISIS Arsenal, Pt. 1
- Fifth place with 1 1/3 votes – VA Right! - Arm Yourselves Against ISIS Because Obama has No Plan and No Clue
- Sixth place with 1 vote – Bookworm Room – Modern Art – rebelling against aesthetics, taste, God, America, and basic drafting standard
- Seventh place with 2/3 votes – The Glittering Eye -Naming Evil
- Eighth place t with 1/3 vote –The Colossus of Rhodey – Color the Opposing Team’s Locker Pink and … Risk a Lawsuit?
- Eighth place t with 1/3 vote –GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD – Tannenberg
- Eighth place t with 1/3 vote –The Razor – PC Authorities Silence Sex Abuse Victims in the UK
- First place with 3 1/3 votes! – Ivy Mike Cafe -#Ferguson – When Assholes Collide submitted by Nice Deb
- Second place t with 1 1/3 votes – Raymond Ibrahim – The Siege of Constantinople submitted by The Right Planet
- Second place t with 1 1/3 votes – Sultan Knish –Ferguson’s Media Problem submitted by The Independent Sentinel
- Second place t with 1 1/3 votes – Richard A. Block/Tablet-Why I’m Unsubscribing to the New York Timessubmitted by Bookworm Room
- Third place t with 1 vote -Brookings Institute – 5 Myths About The Islamic State submitted by GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD
- Third place t with 1 vote - Andrew McCarthy/NRO – Eric Holder, Racial Profiler submitted by The Watcher
- Fourth place t with 2/3 votes -Bill Gertz/Free Beacon –FBI National Domestic Threat Assessment Omits Islamist Terrorism submitted by The Noisy Room
- Fourth place t with 2/3 votes -Bret Stephens/WSJ – Obama’s Curious Rage submitted by Joshuapundit
- Fourth place t with 2/3 votes -Western Journalism – MUST-READ: Angry Parents Of Fallen Seal Team Member Just Destroyed Obama In This Gutsy Letter
submitted by VA Right!
- Fourth place t with 2/3 votes -Ron Fournier/National Journal – The Summer of Obama’s Disconnect submitted by The Glittering Eye
- Fourth place t with 2/3 votes -Mike Gonzalez/ The Federalist – The Making of “Latinos” submitted by The Watcher
- Fifth place t with 1/3 vote -Texas Observer – Something’s Missing from Wendy Davis Ads—Wendy Davis submitted by Rhymes with Right
The Watcher’s Council has awarded it’s first weasel of the week award to the Rotherham City Council.
For 16 years these politicians and constables protected a ring of Muslim Pakistani men who raped, beat and sexually abused 1,400 young British girls in the Yorkshire area. The number of victims who suffered is only surpassed by the sexual abuse scandals that have rocked the Catholic Church for two decades. But while the Pope has plausible deniability for these claims , the head of the Rotherham City Council head Martin Kimber and South Y0rkshire’s Chief Constable David Compton don’t. They knew what was happening and protected the pedophiles, even sending a researcher to diversity training in 2001 and telling her to never ever speak about her discoveries again. Had they acted hundreds of young girls would not have suffered, but instead they clung to their politically correct faith that believes all cultures are superior to ours, even those that encourage child abuse.
1,400 young lives irreparably damaged, no thanks to Compton and Kimber. Your families must be so proud.
Given the scope of the scandal, I think Rotherham needs to change it’s motto. Here are my suggestions:
- The Right Planet – The Growing ISIS Arsenal, Pt. 1
- Simply Jews – Boycotting Israeli circumcision rings? No worries.
- The Independent Sentinel – Operation Chokepoint, Operation Communism!
- The Noisy Room – ISIS barbarians At Our Gates
- Joshuapundit-It’s Time To Give Abbas What He’s Asking For
- GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD – Tannenberg
- VA Right! - Arm Yourselves Against ISIS Because Obama has No Plan and No Clue
- The Glittering Eye -Naming Evil
- The Colossus of Rhodey – Color the Opposing Team’s Locker Pink and … Risk a Lawsuit?
- Rhymes With Right – How Far May School Administrators And Law Enforcement Go In The Name Of “School Security”?
- The Razor – PC Authorities Silence Sex Abuse Victims in the UK
- Bookworm Room – Modern Art – rebelling against aesthetics, taste, God, America, and basic drafting standard
- Nice Deb – West Point Report: Obama Watched And Did Nothing As ISIS Threat Grew – Why?
- Ask Marion – Gluten, Celiac Disease and the Bigger Picture
- Blazing Cat Fur – Islamic State bootcamp in Turkey along Syrian border
- Le·gal In·sur·rec·tion – How Hamas’ Casualty Figures Became News
- The Pirate’s Cove – Ricky Gervais Makes Common Sense Tweet On Hacked Celeb Nude Photos
- Raymond Ibrahim – The Siege of Constantinople submitted by The Right Planet
- Sultan Knish –Ferguson’s Media Problem submitted by The Independent Sentinel
- Bill Gertz/Free Beacon –FBI National Domestic Threat Assessment Omits Islamist Terrorism submitted by The Noisy Room
- Bret Stephens/WSJ – Obama’s Curious Rage submitted by Joshuapundit
- Brookings Institute – 5 Myths About The Islamic State submitted by GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD
- Western Journalism – MUST-READ: Angry Parents Of Fallen Seal Team Member Just Destroyed Obama In This Gutsy Letter
submitted by VA Right!
- Ron Fournier/National Journal – The Summer of Obama’s Disconnect submitted by The Glittering Eye
- Douglas Ernst – Joe Scarborough: Obama’s ‘We don’t have a strategy’ remark comes from ‘The Art of War submitted by The Colossus of Rhodey
- Texas Observer – Something’s Missing from Wendy Davis Ads—Wendy Davis submitted by Rhymes with Right
- The People’s Cube –The ISIS Bucket Challenge submitted by The Razor
- Richard A. Block/Tablet-Why I’m Unsubscribing to the New York Timessubmitted by Bookworm Room
- Ivy Mike Cafe -#Ferguson – When Assholes Collide submitted by Nice Deb
- Jay Cost/The Weekly Standard – What If There’s No There There? submitted by The Watcher
- Andrew McCarthy/NRO – Eric Holder, Racial Profiler submitted by The Watcher
- Mike Gonzalez/ The Federalist – The Making of “Latinos” submitted by The Watcher
Political Correctness is the monster created by the Left and that monster is stampeding across Great Britain leaving suffering in its wake. 1,400 young white girls systematically abused over 16 years in Rotherham, and the authorities not only knew about it, they sent one of their own to
a re-education camp diversity training for raising the alarm about it. The scale of this scandal is only surpassed by the sex scandals of the Catholic Church. In both cases ideology served to blind the authorities to their own morality if not common sense. Just imagine the outcry if the races of the pedophiles and their victims were reversed – white men gang raping 12 year old Asian kids – the outcry would be tremendous.
The politically correct doctrine is as racist as the Klan’s and as sexist as Wahhabi Islam that keeps women covered head to toe in black bags in Saudi Arabian heat. At the heart of political correctness there is the racism of “the white man’s burden” whereby whites know better than other ethnic groups, and critically that only whites are morally and intellectually capable of Evil; other ethnic groups are blameless since they are incapable of understanding right and wrong due to their oppression by whites. There is also unrelenting sexism that a Victorian era gentleman would understand. Women are weaker and incapable of making their own decisions and must be controlled – only by the State instead of their husbands, and women are victims of a patriarchal society and incapable of independence. When these two come in conflict, however, racism trumps sexism; the way the female victims were treated by these so-called “enlightened” authorities in Rotherham appear as progressive as the members of the Westboro Baptist Church.
There is a special place in hell for pedophiles, but there is also an even crueler place for those who know about such abuse and remain silent. The sooner these authorities experience that place the better.
- *First place with 3 votes!Joshuapundit-Blackgammon: Eric Holder Plays the Game in Ferguson
- Second place with 2 votes – Bookworm Room – A very funny video about American blacks that highlights the horrible thing mainstream American culture has done to them
- Third place with 1 1/3 votes – The Noisy Room – China Conducts Provocative Aerial Buzz On American Military Aircraft
- Fourth place t with 1 vote –The Right Planet – Noose Tightening On Jihadi John
- Fourth place t with 1 vote – The Razor – Dawkins Advocates Abortion of Gays, Blondes and Brits
- Fourth place t with 1 vote –The Independent Sentinel – They want our guns while giving submachine guns to the USDA
- Fifth place t with 2/3 vote – Simply Jews – Turkey – ISIS – US – a tough love/hate triangle for State Department
- Fifth place t with 2/3 vote – VA Right! - Obama’s Foreign Policy is Libertarian Lite
- Fifth place t with 2/3 vote –The Glittering Eye -Not As Simple As Black and White
- Fifth place t with 2/3 vote – Rhymes With Right – Grand Jury That Indicted Rick Perry Was Stacked With Partisan Democrats
- First place with 2 2/3 votes! – Matti Friedman/Tablet – An Insider’s Guide to the Most Important Story on Earth submitted by Joshuapundit
- Second place with 2 1/3 votes – David Horowitz/ Red State -The Hell That Is The Obama White House submitted by Nice Deb
- Third place with 2 votes – Mark Steyn –The Face Of The Tiger submitted by The Noisy Room
- Fourth place with 1 vote –The Elder Of Ziyon – Yaacov Lozowick’s short defense of Israel at Mondoweiss submitted by Simply Jews
- Fifth place t with 2/3 vote -Freedom Outpost – There is a Time to Hate & a Time for War submitted by The Right Planet
- Fifth place t with 2/3 vote – Paul Sanders/The National Interest – Barack Obama Is Not a Realist submitted by The Glittering Eye
- Fifth place t with 2/3 vote – Jay Sekulow/FOX – IRS scandal: Obama administration strategy = delay, derail, deceive submitted by The Watcher
- Sixth place t with 1/3 vote -Russell Crandall/The American Interest – US Entering New Era of Dirty Wars? submitted by The Razor
- Sixth place t with 1/3 vote -Doug Ross@Journal – Randall Stevens — Hollywood’s Secret Love Affair with Islamofascism submitted by Rhymes with Right
- Sixth place t with 1/3 vote -Discriminations – Unconscious Devotion To Colorblindness submitted by The Colossus of Rhodey
- Sixth place t with 1/3 vote - New America – When Local Police Become a “Standing Army” submitted by VA Right!
- Sixth place t with 1/3 vote -Mark Lavie/The Tower- Why Everything Reported from Gaza is Crazy Twisted submitted by Bookworm Room
- Sixth place t with 1/3 vote - Jonah Goldberg/NRO – The West’s Gaza submitted by The Watcher
- The Noisy Room – China Conducts Provocative Aerial Buzz On American Military Aircraft
- The Independent Sentinel – They want our guns while giving submachine guns to the USDA
- Joshuapundit-Blackgammon: Eric Holder Plays the Game in Ferguson
- The Right Planet – Noose Tightening On Jihadi John
- Simply Jews – Turkey – ISIS – US – a tough love/hate triangle for State Department
- The Razor – Dawkins Advocates Abortion of Gays, Blondes and Brits
- The Glittering Eye -Not As Simple As Black and White
- Rhymes With Right – Grand Jury That Indicted Rick Perry Was Stacked With Partisan Democrats
- The Colossus of Rhodey – Dopey WNJ Letter of the Week
- VA Right! - Obama’s Foreign Policy is Libertarian Lite
- Bookworm Room – A very funny video about American blacks that highlights the horrible thing mainstream American culture has done to them
- Nice Deb – Watch Obama’s Rousing Speech That Brought Military Vets To Their Feet (Video)
- Ask Marion – Gutfeld: Evil Grew Because We Let It and Obama on the Golf Course
- GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD – Arab Air Forces
- MidKnight Review – Why Obama cannot win the war on terror.
- The Political Commentator – This Is What Hamas Supporters/Jew-Israel Haters Are Really Telling Us!
- The Pirate’s Cove – Charles Krauthammer: Semi-Retired President Dithers Too Much
- Seraphic Secret – How to Resolve an IslamoNazi Hostage Crisis In One Easy Lesson
- Mark Steyn –The Face Of The Tiger submitted by The Noisy Room
- Washington Examiner –NFL could pull Super Bowl if Arizona religious rights bill passes submitted by The Independent Sentinel
- Freedom Outpost – There is a Time to Hate & a Time for War submitted by The Right Planet
- Matti Friedman/Tablet – An Insider’s Guide to the Most Important Story on Earth submitted by Joshuapundit
- The Elder Of Ziyon – Yaacov Lozowick’s short defense of Israel at Mondoweiss submitted by Simply Jews
- Russell Crandall/The American Interest – US Entering New Era of Dirty Wars? submitted by The Razor
- Paul Sanders/The National Interest – Barack Obama Is Not a Realist submitted by The Glittering Eye
- Doug Ross@Journal – Randall Stevens — Hollywood’s Secret Love Affair with Islamofascism submitted by Rhymes with Right
- Discriminations – Unconscious Devotion To Colorblindness submitted by The Colossus of Rhodey
- New America – When Local Police Become a “Standing Army” submitted by VA Right!
- Mark Lavie/The Tower- Why Everything Reported from Gaza is Crazy Twisted submitted by Bookworm Room
- David Horowitz/ Red State -The Hell That Is The Obama White House submitted by Nice Deb
- Tony Lee/Breitbart -- On Monday evening, California Governor Jerry Brown said all Mexicans, including illegal immigrants, are welcome in California submitted by Ask Marion
- Jonah Goldberg/NRO – The West’s Gaza submitted by The Watcher
- Jay Sekulow/FOX – IRS scandal: Obama administration strategy = delay, derail, deceive submitted by The Watcher
I read Richard Dawkins’ Selfish Gene back in the day. At the time I thought the book to be overrated, and now find it pretty much outdated, proven wrong by later research. But that proof hasn’t stopped Dawkins from parlaying his initial fame into a long career that recently has evolved into becoming the bete noire of Christians. He and his supporters like to portray themselves as standing against ignorance and don the mantel of the scientific greats who suffered under the Inquisition, but these days are quite different than the time Galileo lived. In fact given the tendency for some followers of a particular “religion of peace” to saw off the heads of non-believers, I’ll start taking Dawkins seriously when he dons a Mohammed mask and pees on the Koran. It’s easy to rile up Jews and Christians; they won’t stick a dagger through your heart (as one member of the religion of peace did to Theo Van Gogh) or issue a fatwa against you the way the Ayatollah Khomeini did to Salman Rushdie. Islam is another matter, and I’m always amazed how the Left censors itself in regards to that religion, focusing their ire instead on Christianity, as if the Pope will send a suicide bombing altar boy to silence them.
So Dawkins’ latest rant calling for the abortion of babies with Down’s Syndrome is just so much more greenhouse gas emissions by the former scientist. As the uncle of no less than TWO kids with Down’s, I could expound on how these children are endless fountains of Love in this despairing world we live in, but instead I’ll take another tack.
Dawkins’ argument is that those with Down’s suffer a poor quality of life and it is our duty to kill them to prevent their suffering. “I personally would go further and say that, if your morality is based, as mine is, on a desire to increase the sum of happiness and reduce suffering, the decision to deliberately give birth to a Down baby, when you have the choice to abort it early in the pregnancy, might actually be immoral from the point of view of the child’s own welfare.”
So if the standard to judge is quality of life,that a Down’s child has less quality of life than a non-Down’s child, then shouldn’t we apply this logic to other conditions? Perhaps we could take it a step further down this slippery slope Dawkins has plopped his atheistic butt on. Current thinking is that people are born gay, and if true then it should be possible to eventually determine whether someone is gay while they are in utero. Since gay people are more prone to drug abuse, alcoholism and suicide than straight people, then should Dawkins morality apply to those as well? After all if gays suffer a lower quality of life than straights, shouldn’t the parents abort the gay baby and try again? Ditto children with autism, left-handedness (lower quality of life than right handers), brunettes (lower quality of life than blondes), and those born in Britain (lower quality of life than Americans).
My opinion? Anyone who bases their reproductive success on the opinions of that bloviator shouldn’t reproduce in the first place.
- *First place with 3 2/3 votes! – The Right Planet – #Ferguson: Facts Don’t Matter Anymore
- Second place with 3 votes –The Noisy Room – Communists and the New Black Panthers Gin Up Violence and Racial Conflict in Ferguson
- Third place with 2 2/3 vote – Bookworm Room – Israel’s friends need to keep a very close eye on Obama in the coming days
- Fourth place with 1 vote –VA Right! - Obama, Holder, Sharpton and Jackson fan the flames in Ferguson
- Fifth place t with 2/3 vote –Joshuapundit-Hamas Breaks Ceasefire -Missiles Fired At Tel Aviv , Aimed At Airport
- Fifth place t with 2/3 vote –The Razor – The Danger to Civil Society Posed by Militarized Police
- Fifth place t with 2/3 vote –Rhymes With Right – Rick Perry Indicted For Vetoing Tax Dollars For Office Of Dangerous Drugged And Drunk Driving DA.
- Fifth place t with 2/3 vote – Simply Jews – Andrew Sullivan / Sam Harris debate: making sense of thereof
- Sixth place t with 1/3 vote –The Colossus of Rhodey – The Limits of Academic Freedom
- Sixth place t with 1/3 vote –The Independent Sentinel – Obama’s plan to not assimilate new immigrants
- Sixth place t with 1/3 vote –Nice Deb – Lt Col Ralph Peters On ISIS: ‘We’re Dealing With a Death Cult’ (Video)
- First place with 2 votes!-Kurt Schlichter – The GOP Needs to Return to a “Feared By Our Enemies” Foreign Policy submitted by Joshuapundit
- Second place t with 1 2/3 votes –The Atheist Jew – What The Hell Is Wrong With Some Of You submitted by Simply Jews
- Second place t with 1 2/3 votes –Bryan Preston/PJ Media -Who Are ‘Texans for Public Justice,’ and Why Does Their Role in the Perry Case Matter? submitted by Nice Deb
- Second place t with 1 2/3 votes – Mark Steyn – Cigars, But Not Close submitted by The Watcher(hat tip, Terresa at The Noisy Room)
- Third place with 1 1/3 votes –Sultan Knish –How To Write About Israel submitted by The Independent Sentinel
- Fourth place t with 1 vote-Allen West –Coptic bishop: witnessing heinous cleansing of entire Christian population in Middle East submitted by The Noisy Room
- Fourth place t with 1 vote-Ileana Johnson/Freedom Outpost – Hamas Invested $90 Million in Tunnels to Attack Israel While Their People Live in Squalor
submitted by VA Right!
- Fourth place t with 1 vote-The Passing Parade – Something there is about a wall, that wants it down, or not, as the case may be submitted by The Watcher (hat tip, Snoopy at Simply Jews)
- Fifth place t with 2/3 vote-American Spectator – The Collapse Of The Liberal World Order submitted by The Right Planet
- Fifth place t with 2/3 vote-Victor Davis Hanson – Living Out Critical Legal Theory submitted by The Colossus of Rhodey
- Fifth place t with 2/3 vote-Rachel Lu/The Federalist – Yes, People Believe Abortion is Murder submitted by The Glittering Eye
- Sixth place t with 1/3 vote -T.X. Hammes/War on the Rocks – Israel & the Demise of Mowing the Grass submitted by GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD
- Sixth place t with 1/3 vote -Walter Russel Mead –Ferguson: A Fire Alarm in the Night submitted by The Razor
A few days ago marked the 2000th anniversary of the death of Augustus Caesar. The event passed quietly as far as I can tell which is a shame in my opinion. Augustus as well as his adopted father Julius Caesar shaped the foundation of our society in a way that even they would not have imagined. He should at least be remembered if not celebrated.
Most of us get history shoved down our throats. I remember being forced to read Shakespeare’s Julius Caesar freshman year of high school when I was more interested in smoking pot and listening to Blondie than understanding Elizabethan English, even that of the Great Bard. Of course Shakespeare’s take on Caesar was about as factual as Tina Fey’s of Sarah Palin so I suppose I didn’t miss much. But as I’ve gotten older I’ve developed an interest in and a deep appreciation of ancient works. For this I credit “Black Swan” author and philosopher Naseem Nicholas Taleb, and the crazy frat boy turned project manager who turned me on to him. Taleb is one of the few writers I’d like to meet, and he has written extensively about the stoics and other ancient philosophers. I started reading Seneca because of him, and it hasn’t been easy. I’ve learned that I am weak when it comes to translated works. I need the rhythm and comfort of modern speech to appreciate these ancient writings, and while I’ve struggled with Seneca’s translation, The Complete Works of Julius Caesar as translated by W.A McDevitte and W.S. Bohn has been a good investment of $1.50.
Caesar writes in the 3rd person as if some disembodied narrator which I find somewhat annoying, but once you get past that his story comes alive. You are in the mind of one of history’s greatest generals at a crucial point in our civilization’s history.
One thing becomes quickly clear: Caesar is always at the disadvantage in battle. In Gaul his forces are always out-manned by the tribes arrayed against him, but Caesar understands victory does not rely on numbers alone, and his tactical genius combined with a veteran, well-disciplined force overcomes the numerical advantage of his enemies. But it isn’t easy. Here is a sample of Caesar in battle.
Caesar had everything to do at one time: the standard to be displayed, which was the sign when it was necessary to run to arms; the signal to be given by the trumpet; the soldiers to be called off from the works; those who had proceeded some distance for the purpose of seeking materials for the rampart, to be summoned; the order of battle to be formed; the soldiers to be encouraged; the watchword to be given. A great part of these arrangements was prevented by the shortness of time and the sudden approach and charge of the enemy. (Gallic Wars, Book 2, Chapter 20)
What comes through his narration is the unpredictability of war. One would also expect Caesar to embellish his successes while airbrushing away his failures, yet Caesar’s retelling of events comes through as exceedingly honest. For example, Caesar didn’t win all his battles. In fact at the battle of Dyrrachium he almost lost everything against another one of History’s great generals, Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus or Pompey the Great.
Pompey had taken up a position upon some hills with his back to the sea. Unable to assault Pompey directly Caesar set about building fortifications around Pompey’s position with the idea of boxing him and eventually strangling his army. Pompey’s navy controlled the sea so his army could resupply whereas Caesar’s could not, but thousands of horses need a lot of forage Caesar became expert at picking off cavalry in search of food for their horses. A stalemate descended on the battlefield, and it wasn’t until two Gauls defected from Caesar’s camp to Pompey that the stalemate was broken. They informed Pompey about where Caesar’s forces were weakest, and Pompey focused his attack on that point. Caesar’s army turned and fled, and he struggled to figure out what happened, stopping panicked soldiers himself for details of the rout. Learning the circumstances Caesar believed that he had lost the war. Then his luck changed. Caesar writes,
In this calamity, the following favorable circumstances occurred to prevent the ruin of our whole army, that Pompey suspecting an ambush (because, as I suppose, the success had far exceeded his hopes, as he had seen his men a moment before fleeing from the camp), didn’t approach the fortification, and that his horse were retarded from pursuing… By retarding the rapidity of the enemy’s pursuit, preserved our army. (The Civil Wars, Book 3, Chapter 72)
Caesar had developed a reputation for daring as a general, but this can only have been abetted by his experienced army. Nowhere was this more apparent then at the Battle of Pharsalus, the climactic battle of the Roman Civil War. Before the battle Pompey had managed to starve Caesar’s army of supplies. Pompey employed this strategy of attrition, waiting for Caesar’s forces to fall apart under the stress of skirmishes and lack of supplies. Caesar in turn sought to provoke Pompey into battle, appreciating for himself the wisdom of Pompey’s strategy but Pompey resisted being drawn into battle. At this point Pompey had the high ground on a hill and had double the number of troops – 45,000 vs Caesar’s 22,000.
The pressure on Pompey to finish off Caesar’s forces was strong. His advisers and lieutenants pushed the old general to destroy Caesar and his army, and they claimed the victory at Dyrrachium proved that Caesar was fatally weakened. Excited at the prospect of ridding themselves of Caesar and returning to Rome as heroes, Caesar quotes one of Pompey’s generals as denigrating Caesar’s forces. “(This is not) the army which conquered Gaul and Germany… a very small part of that army now remains… the flower of the forces perished in the two engagements at Dyrrachium.” Finally Pompey relented, announcing “I have persuaded our cavalry, and they have engaged to execute it… to attack Caesar’s right wing on the flank, and inclosing their army on the rear, throw them into disorder, and put them to the rout, before we shall throw a weapon against the enemy.” (The Civil Wars, Book 3, Chapter 87).
Throughout his works Caesar portrays himself as favoring a peaceful resolution to a crisis over war, and when war was necessary, enforcing a just peace on the defeated. The lives of captured soldiers were spared; towns that surrendered to his army did not have their citizens put to the sword. These were uncommon practices by his enemies according to his Caesar, and his concern with his enemy and the Republic showed before battle. Facing double the number of men in his army, a force well supplied and enjoying better ground and lead by a general Caesar himself respected, Caesar exhorted his forces as Pompey began arranging his men for battle. “He took care to remind them that he could call his soldiers to witness the earnestness with which he had sought peace… he had been always reluctant to shed the blood of his soldiers, and did not wish to deprive the republic of one or other of her armies.” (The Civil Wars, Book 3, Chapter 90).
The pivotal battle turned out to be somewhat anti-climatic from a modern point of view, but here again Caesar’s experienced troops were the deciding factor. Charging towards Pompey’s forces required Caesar’s soldiers to cross a vast no-mans-land between the two armies. Pompey under the advice of his adviser Caius Triarius held back his men, waiting for Caesar’s troops to tire and then be easily beaten. But his experienced troops understood what Pompey was doing and changed tactics in the middle of their run. Caesar writes, “(Caesar’s men) perceiving that Pompey’s men did not run to meet their charge, having acquired experience by custom, and being practices in former battles, they of their own accord repressed their speed, and halted almost midway; that they might not come up with the enemy when their strength was exhausted.” (The Civil Wars, Book 3, Chapter 93). Caesar notes that Pompey’s men did not fail in the battle, “for they received our javelins, stood our charge, and maintained their ranks,” but within minutes the tide of the battle changed. Caesar had made up his thin ranks not in the customary three rows but four. This crucial fourth row of men were able to withstand the cavalry charge Pompey had planned; had that fourth row not been there the cavalry would have broken through Caesar’s line and been able to attack his forces from behind. But the fourth line held and pushed back the cavalry, sending it routing. Once that happened the battle was for all intents and purposes over. Pompey left the battlefield and returned to camp, eventually disguising himself and fleeing.
Throughout the books Caesar drops names of those who helped him which reminds me of the way American presidents pepper their speeches with the names of average Americans. I find it fascinating that over 2000 years later these men, or at least their names, are not forgotten thanks to Caesar’s pen. Caesar writes, “There was in Caesar’s army, a volunteer of the name of Crastinus, who the year before had been first centurion of the tenth legion, a man of pre-eminent bravery. .. He looked back at Caesar and said “General, I will act in such a matter today that you will feel grateful to me living or dead.”” Earlier in the Gallic Wars he notes “two very brave men, centurions, who were now approaching the first ranks, T. Pullo and L. Varenus. These used to have continual disputes between them which of them should be preferred, and every year used to to contend for promotion with the utmost animosity.” These two men became the main characters of the HBO series Rome. Caesar sprinkles these names and vignettes throughout this works, betraying what I consider to be a literary sensibility by the writer. Caesar was educated in the Greek classics so he probably understood the importance of supporting characters to help tell a story, and since the Romans themselves were just as interested in their own history as we are in theirs, he no doubt knew that his story would be much more interesting if it wasn’t filled with self-aggrandizing commentary. It’s a lesson our current leader should learn if he was open-minded enough to appreciate the thoughts of a “dead white male.”
I know I’m not the first to realize this, but the epiphany that a long-dead man like Julius Caesar could come alive in my imagination through his writings has been profound and humbling. The Renaissance thinkers believed that the Greeks and Romans had discovered all there was to know about the human condition, and that it was up to them to rediscover that knowledge and refine it. Like them I am simply amazed at how little has changed between Caesar’s era and our own when it comes to the human condition. Caesar is betrayed and lied to just as the EU is today by Vladimir Putin. He experiences fake friends just as the US does in the guise of the Saudis. His men act with honor and cowardice just as our soldiers do today. We may shoot missiles instead of launching javelins but I would bet that if you took one of Caesar’s legionaries and put him in a foxhole in Afghanistan he would get along just fine with American soldiers.
It is readily apparent to me why Caesar has not been forgotten over the millennia. He speaks to us across Time to remind us of that we face the same struggles he did, possessing the same soul-destroying fears as well as our own capacity for courage and greatness. Through his writings he transcends death and serves as an important guide for us as we stumble towards our own future.
- The Noisy Room – Communists and the New Black Panthers Gin Up Violence and Racial Conflict in Ferguson
- The Independent Sentinel – Obama’s plan to not assimilate new immigrants
- Simply Jews – Andrew Sullivan / Sam Harris debate: making sense of thereof
- The Right Planet – #Ferguson: Facts Don’t Matter Anymore
- Joshuapundit-Hamas Breaks Ceasefire -Missiles Fired At Tel Aviv , Aimed At Airport
- GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD – Obama’s Jay Vee Team
- VA Right! - Obama, Holder, Sharpton and Jackson fan the flames in Ferguson
- The Colossus of Rhodey – The Limits of Academic Freedom
- Bookworm Room – Israel’s friends need to keep a very close eye on Obama in the coming days
- Nice Deb – Lt Col Ralph Peters On ISIS: ‘We’re Dealing With a Death Cult’ (Video)
- The Glittering Eye -The States
- Rhymes With Right – Rick Perry Indicted For Vetoing Tax Dollars For Office Of Dangerous Drugged And Drunk Driving DA.
- The Razor – The Danger to Civil Society Posed by Militarized Police
- Ask Marion – Power, Control and Money Verses Patriotism, Freedom and God Is the Choice of 2014 and 2016
- Blazing Cat Fur – The Michael Brown “Narrative” Goes To Hell At Light Speed!
- Gates Of Vienna – The Final Death of Western Civilization
- The Political Commentator – Is Hillary Clinton really a woman of the people?
- Allen West –Coptic bishop: witnessing heinous cleansing of entire Christian population in Middle East submitted by The Noisy Room
- Sultan Knish –How To Write About Israel submitted by The Independent Sentinel
- The Atheist Jew – What The Hell Is Wrong With Some Of You submitted by Simply Jews
- American Spectator – The Collapse Of The Liberal World Order submitted by The Right Planet
- Kurt Schlichter – The GOP Needs to Return to a “Feared By Our Enemies” Foreign Policy submitted by Joshuapundit
- T.X. Hammes/War on the Rocks – Israel & the Demise of Mowing the Grass submitted by GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD
- Ileana Johnson/Freedom Outpost – Hamas Invested $90 Million in Tunnels to Attack Israel While Their People Live in Squalor
submitted by VA Right!
- Victor Davis Hanson – Living Out Critical Legal Theory submitted by The Colossus of Rhodey
- Kevin D Williamson/NRO-Who Lost The Cities? submitted by Bookworm Room
- Bryan Preston/PJ Media -Who Are ‘Texans for Public Justice,’ and Why Does Their Role in the Perry Case Matter? submitted by Nice Deb
- Rachel Lu/The Federalist – Yes, People Believe Abortion is Murder submitted by The Glittering Eye
- The Volokh Conspiracy – A little-known quote from Justice Jackson, on free speech submitted by Rhymes with Right
- Walter Russel Mead –Ferguson: A Fire Alarm in the Night submitted by The Razor
- FrontPageMag - David Horowitz Joins Hannity to Discuss Obama’s Anti-American Agenda submitted by Ask Marion
- Mark Steyn – Cigars, But Not Close submitted by The Watcher(hat tip, Terresa at The Noisy Room)
- The Passing Parade – Something there is about a wall, that wants it down, or not, as the case may be submitted by The Watcher (hat tip, Snoopy at Simply Jews)
Today marks the 2oooth anniversary of the death of Augustus Caesar. Born Gaius Octavius he was the grand-nephew of Julius Caesar and became his heir after his assassination. After consolidating his power and defeating his rival Mark Antony, Rome entered a time of peace and prosperity later known as Pax Romana lasting 200 years. When we think of Roman emperors today we tend to think of madmen like Caligula or Nero, but Augustus was nothing of the sort. He lived a quiet personal life and shied away from extravagance, choosing to live in a modest home in the city’s Palatine. Historian Suetonius wrote, “He lived at first near the Forum Romanum, afterwards on the Palatine in a modest dwelling remarkable neither for size or elegance, having but a short colonnade with columns of local stone and rooms without any marble decorations or handsome pavements. For more than 40 years he used the same bedroom in winter and summer.”
Leftist university professors won’t admit it but our civilization, the one that has dominated the world for 500 years freeing hundreds of millions from slavery and bringing untold wealth and prosperity to every corner of the globe has its roots in Greco-Roman culture, a culture shaped by the brilliant mind of Augustus Caesar.
Rosario Iaconis writing in Investor’s Business Daily notes, “Few leaders in the history of the world can match the statesmanship or success of Caesar Augustus. Rome’s first emperor rescued a nation in the throes of disorder, plus established an enduring polity that would shape the destiny of Western civilization for the next 1,500 years.”