Whose idea was it to recognize Kosovo’s independence?
By doing this we have…
1. Undermined the legitimacy of multi-ethnic states. What happens if/when the Serbian-dominated bits of Kosova decide to breakaway to join Serbia? Or when the Albanian bits of those bits decide to break away from the breakaway regions and join Kosovo? Or when the Serbian neighborhoods present there decide to go their own way – except for the small cluster of Albanian houses that is stuck in the neighborhood?
2. Pushed Serbia further into Russian orbit. Consider that Serbia has been shedding its past and westernizing. However by this simple action we have emboldened hard-core nationalists, and undercut the westernizers who must now play the nationalism card in order to survive.
3. Gained nothing from the Islamic world. Even Islamic nations haven’t recognized Kosova for fear of stoking their own separatist movements.
4. Strengthened Russia’s hand in Europe. Putin now has an opening through Serbia to exercise his Soviet-era policies vis-a-vis the West.
5. Gained us nothing – anywhere. By recognizing Kosovo we don’t get squat.
This stinks of the Euroweenie-run State Department following the lead of the EU. In the end I don’t see any good and a whole heap of trouble coming out of this. This has to be one of the biggest bonehead moves of State since Madeline Albright tied one in Pyongyang with Kim Jong-il.