I haven’t written much about Cindy Sheehan, mainly because so many others have and given the slow news cycle we’re in most people aren’t paying much attention anyway. However, Dean Esmay recently noted that David Duke has set up shop outside of Bush’s ranch in Crawford. This isn’t much of a surprise to those of us who have tracked the course of the White Supremacist movement in the United States. For over a decade the movement has sought to work with Islamic terror groups since both have an enemy in common: Us – as in you and me or anyone who thinks black women are beautiful, have gay friends and enjoy Japanese culture – or are Catholic, Jewish, Hindu or Asian, or maybe just prefer to be left alone.
If you made a Venn diagram of the people the White Supremacist hated and those the Islamic fundies hate you would find that they shared a large common area. More interesting perhaps is what happens when you overlay a circle showing what the anti-American Left hates and you will find a significant overlap on the following groups:
1. Jews – All three groups are anti-Semitic although the anti-War Left will attempt to couch their bigotry in terms of being anti-Israeli NOT anti-Jewish. However the anti-American Left opposes American goverment support of Israel and persues policies that undermine the very existence of the Israeli state. Others, like Cindy Sheehan’s cohort Lynne Stewart, have actively supported terrorists bent on exterminating Jews and Americans.
2. The American Government – All three view this entity as a single “being” with a single “mind” – i.e. “ZOG” (Zionist Occupied Gov’t in White Supremacist parlance). Islamic groups view the legitimacy of this government as an affront to their religion, since the gov’t is a secular institution without a foundation in the Koran. And the anti-war Left takes the Chomskyite view that this gov’t is the source of all evils in the world.
3. Democracy – The anti-war Left is elitist. In its eyes the vast majority of Americans are “sheeple” incapable of taking care of themselves and do not know what is best for them. Worse, when they do know what is best, they put their selfish interests ahead of the group’s. White Supremacists view Democracy as the root of the mongrelization of the races, and the Islamic Fundies view this type of government as an affront to the supremacy of Allah and Islamic law.
4. Catholics – Papists beholden to a foreign power / Unbelievers / Reactionary forces. You decide which of these three groups believes what about Catholics.
5. Women – Under Islam and White Supremacy, women are subservient to men. Under Leftist dogma, women are victims and can only be empowered after male-dominated society is overthrown. Until that happens, they must be “taken care of” by the Enlightened Elites who know what is best for them.
6. Rationalists/ free-thinkers / intellectuals – All three groups view this type of person as threats to their accepted dogmas. Any questioning is cause for “re-education”. Horowitz writes about the growing corraboration of the Leftists with Islamic Fundamentalists. Perhaps Horowitz should expand this book to include the White Supremacist movements.
Together all three groups create a noxious concoction that is guaranteed to make the coming years eventful and most likely, extremely dangerous.